Thursday, February 09, 2006

The numbers for DWP 28 came in and...

... the book didn't even come close to making Diamond's quota. In fact, It might be accurate to say that DWP 28 was the lowest-ordered issue in the book's history. I did my best to promote the book, but there's only so much that I could have done. At one time, it was believed that creator's were inflating the DWP order numbers by buying up all of the issues featuring their work, so it was difficult to tell who was actually buying the book, readers or creators. However, since DWP 28 had the lowest amount of creators in the book, I believe we earned every order. I know for a fact that I fought for every order-- pitching the stuff to anyone who'd listen, but I must admit that I was responsible for a fifth of the final numbers because I hit up every co-worker, friend, and associate I had to buy an 'x' amount of issues as an early birthday present to me. Sadly, all of their orders ended up drops in a bucket.

7 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Frank Dirscherl said...

Sorry to hear that, Joshua. Still, that's no reflection on DWP or the quality of your work in #28...it's just hard for us indies to make any form of impact, especially these days.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Joshua Gamon said...

These things happen. It's the nature of the beast. I just hope that the publisher won't associate the low sales with my work, you know? I am sure, however, that Ed probably won't take another gamble on these types of stories.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Frank Dirscherl said...

I'm sure Ed is well aware of the quality of your work or he wouldn't continue publishing your work. He's a smart guy. However, the direction of DWP does appear to have changed for the forseeable future, but I know that was decided upon prior to the release of DWP #28 and is not a reflection of your work or the sales figires of #28, so rest easy there.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, Josh -- DWP28 wasn't the lowest ordered issue to date. DWP26 holds those honors with DWP20 and DWP18 coming in next.

In the early launch of the series, contributors did help inflate the numbers, but that stopped around issue 12 when I told everyone to stop. Since then, the numbers have remained low with the exception of higher profile creators contributors appearing in the book.

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Frank Dirscherl said...

There you go, Joshua. I'm sure Ed will work out how to continue DWP...it's too important a title to lose.

Now, start updating this blog again for goodness sake :P

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Frank Dirscherl said...

You ever gonna update this blog, Joshua? MySpace doesn't deserve all your attention.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Frank Dirscherl said...

Get back to this blog, mate. You're needed here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home